[linux-cifs-client] CIFS stopped working yesterday - "ls" reports "Invalid argument"

Paul Risenhoover prisenhoover at daxsolutions.com
Thu Nov 9 21:09:12 GMT 2006

Upon reading another posting, I was able to determine how to do some
debugging on my own:

I performed the following command:

echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI

I cannot provide the full output of the dmesg command because of the
confidential nature of the files, but I can see that Samba *does* see
them.  The final messages, after listing all the files, are as follows
(note, I'm focusing on the section where I first see the "-22" status,
as that is the status that I am getting on the command line:

fs/cifs/readdir.c: For 57d63962-011.flx
 fs/cifs/readdir.c: File Size 19098 and blocks 40
 fs/cifs/readdir.c: File inode
 fs/cifs/readdir.c: filldir rc = -22
 fs/cifs/readdir.c: new entry ffff810008afc148 old entry
ffff810008afc0e8
 fs/cifs/readdir.c: CIFS VFS: leaving cifs_readdir (xid = 44756) rc =
-22
 fs/cifs/file.c: Closedir inode = 0xffff8100291f19b8
 fs/cifs/file.c: CIFS VFS: in cifs_closedir as Xid: 44757 with uid: 0
 fs/cifs/file.c: Freeing private data in close dir
 fs/cifs/cifssmb.c: In CIFSSMBFindClose
 fs/cifs/transport.c: For smb_command 52
 fs/cifs/transport.c: Sending smb of length 37
 fs/cifs/connect.c: rfc1002 length 0x27)
 fs/cifs/file.c: Closing uncompleted readdir with rc 0
 fs/cifs/file.c: closedir free smb buf in srch struct
 fs/cifs/file.c: CIFS VFS: leaving cifs_closedir (xid = 44757) rc = 0
 fs/cifs/inode.c: CIFS VFS: in cifs_revalidate as Xid: 44758 with uid: 0
 fs/cifs/inode.c: Revalidate:  inode 0xffff8100291f1cc8 count 1 dentry:
0xffff81000f16b418 d_time 0 jiffies 4311592713
 fs/cifs/inode.c: Getting info on..

<snip>

I'm not sure I made this clear in the previous post, but it actually
*works* if I list some other directories on the same file share (see
the last test in the previous post -- "ls /mnt/nas/fileroot/upload").

I've also done some reading and it appears this latest version has some
changes with null domains and null users, but like I said before, I'm
using credentials.

Best,
Paul