[linux-cifs-client] Re: extremely slow throughput writing to remote

Steve French smfrench at austin.rr.com
Mon May 22 20:11:27 GMT 2006

Steve French wrote:
> Just did a quick experiment:
>
> From my laptop to a home PC over standard 100Mbit ethernet (samba
> 3.0.20 on 2.6.17-rc2 with ext3 on a common older IDE drive, WDC 1200JB).
>
> For a 256MB file copy
>     "dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/tstfile bs=256K count=1000"
> cifs vfs (2.6.17-rc2 on client) was 11.2 MB/sec (90 megabits per
> seconds is near maximum wire speed)  vs. Local performance of large
> file copy was over 30MB/sec.  This is in line with what I would expect
> given the wire speed and much longer path lengths and lack of
> serialization.  Note that with
>
> Note that the default block size of 512 that dd uses is atrocious and
> causes cifs to be given very small writes - which is much slower
> (2MB/sec).  Make sure your application is using a block size as least
> as big as the cifs write size (14 pages - ie 56K)
>
> I will retry over gigE on the same two machines in a few minutes.

Tried 3 times over gigabit (same thing 256Megabytes: 256K write size,
count 1000) and got more or less what I expected about 50% utilization -
for the three test runs cifs to samba was averaging more than 55MB/sec.
By comparison nfs (default server and client mount options) was less
than 1/2 the speed of cifs (nfs averaged 22MB/sec).   IIRC nfs did much
better (relative to cifs) on read than write.

Lots of room for improvement in cifs, but not bad.  I would like to ge
it to about 90 MB/sec over gigabit.