[linux-cifs-client] extremely slow throughput writing to remote shares

Christian Pernegger pernegger at gmail.com
Mon May 22 19:19:55 GMT 2006

> My experiments with cifs writing over gigabit showed reasonable utilization
> but would be much better [...]

That sounds great, but more like further optimizaton of something
which is basically working. I _had_ transfer rates in the same
ballpark with FTP and was hoping for someone to tell me what might
have broken / regressed / grossly misconfigured.

>  The cifs improvement (around 2.6.15) for using iovecs on write (which
> eliminated a large memory allocation on the client, which could sometimes
> cause delays while the client mm hunted for eight free contiguous pages)
> also helps.

Hmm, the machine is on 2.6.15 at the moment, has 2.6.16 a reasonable
chance of fixing things? How much of an impact would this improvement
have, assuming both participating machines have at least 1,5GB free
RAM?

Normal FS writes go into a buffers, to be written out when pdflush
feels like it. I have a feeling this whole caching mechanism is
somehow bypassed here.

Maybe I should dig out a (Debian) unstable installation on another box
to compare.

Thanks,

C.