[linux-cifs-client] input/output errors while executing ls on a cifs share

alok kumar alok66 at yahoo.com
Thu May 18 14:16:38 GMT 2006

Can anybody please provide any leads or directions to
help solve this problem? I am really stuck and don't
know what to do? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Alok

I am new to CIFS. Recently, I installed redhat
Enterprise Linux 4.0 update 3 on my server. We used to
mount shares from EMC celerra using smbfs on ES3.0.
After upgrade to ES4.0 started getting some errors
with  smbfs. Checked online, it was recommended to use
cifs instead. When I use cifs to mount a share, it is
mounted without any error. But when I try to run 'ls'
command it gives me "Input/output error".

[root at beatest4 ~]# mount -t cifs //bizprod/wli2
/wli2
-o
ip=10.110.1.80,user=kumara4,password=xxx,domain=twpn,uid=501,gid=501
[root at beatest4 ~]# ls -l /wli2
ls: reading directory /wli2: Input/output error
total 0

If I try to run
[root at beatest4 ~]# cd /wli2/wlitest2
[root at beatest4 wlitest2]# pwd
/wli2/wlitest2

It works fine. But if you do ls again
[root at beatest4 wlitest2]# ls
wlitest2

It gives you the current directory name.

I even tried to copy files on this share. No errors.
But again there is no way to list them. If you know
the file name you can even cat a file.

Samba rpm installed

samba-3.0.22-1
cifs.ko version 1.34