[linux-cifs-client] Mounting without password?

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Wed May 10 13:34:46 GMT 2006

Chris,

>>> Is there a way to use usernames without (or emtpy) passwords?
>
> - From the cifs README:
>
>   guest         Although ignored by the kernel component, the mount.cifs
>         mount helper will not prompt the user for a password
>         if guest is specified on the mount options.  If no
>         password is specified a null password will be used.
>
> Have you tried the following command line:
>
> mount -t cifs //10.0.2.10/test1 /mnt/intern -o user="Steven Scholz",guest

"guest" is only for "mount.cifs" and not "mount"! And as it says it's
ignored by mount anyway.

But for the sake of completeness I tried

~ # mount.cifs //10.0.2.10/test1 /mnt/intern -o user="Steven Scholz",guest

	and

~ # mount.cifs //10.0.2.10/test1 /mnt/intern -o user="Steven Scholz"
Password: <ENTER>

Does not work.

--
Steven