[linux-cifs-client] Can only mount using server IP !?

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Mon May 8 07:21:53 GMT 2006

Steven French wrote:
> I have noticed the duplicate name thing before as well in the following
> case -
> mounting to a windows server which the client thinks has a particular
> hostname but the server does not recognize the hostname as its own name.

C:\>hostname
steven

C:\>nslookup steven
Server:  imcfileserver.berlin.imc-berlin.de
Address:  10.0.0.10

*** steven not found : Server failed

C:\>nslookup scholz
Server:  imcfileserver.berlin.imc-berlin.de
Address:  10.0.0.10

*** scholz not found : Server failed

C:\>nslookup scholz.berlin.imc-berlin.de
Server:  imcfileserver.berlin.imc-berlin.de
Address:  10.0.0.10

Name:    scholz.berlin.imc-berlin.de
Address:  10.0.2.10

C:\>nslookup steven.berlin.imc-berlin.de
Server:  imcfileserver.berlin.imc-berlin.de
Address:  10.0.0.10

*** steven.berlin.imc-berlin.de not found : Non-existent domain

Non-existent domain ???

I am confused!

As I mentioned before: The IP hostname ist "scholz". The "Computername" I am
using with WIndows Explorer in SMB networking is "\\steven". I am uisng
Windows XP for that. Funny enough Windows Explorer shows the name of my
Computer as "Steven Scholz (Steven)" while all other computer in my
workgroup have obly one single name !

--
Steven