[linux-cifs-client] Seeing a strange permission bit when server mounted with -t cifs option

Paul Edgar paule at austin.rr.com
Thu May 4 17:38:15 GMT 2006

When I mount my samba server share to a local mount point using -t cifs
I am seeing a permission bit 'S'.  However, if I mount the same share
using samba I do not see the bit set.

Normally this might no be an issue but it seeams that the permissions I
should see with each type of mount should be the same, providing i am
mounting the sharing with the same options other than type.

examples:
cifs - //cs-fs/install on /cs-fs type cifs (rw,mand)
-rwxrwSrwt  1 root root 212711424 Oct 20  2005 RHEL4-U2-ppc-AS-disc1.iso

smbfs -
//cs-fs/install on /mnt type smbfs (0)
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 212711424 Oct 20  2005 RHEL4-U2-ppc-AS-disc1.iso

Even if I specify ro with cifs the 'S' bit is still set.

Paul Edgar