[linux-cifs-client] 2.6.15.1 CIFS can't copy directories.

studdugie studdugie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 20:41:04 GMT 2006

I have 2 kernel versions built from kernel.org's tree. Versions
2.6.15.1 and 2.6.11.5 and 2.6.15.1's CIFS client is not working as
expected.

I have a bash script that mounts a Windows 2003 share, moves 1
directory down from the mount point, and for each sub-directory in the
1-down directory it empties the sub-directories' contents via rm. It
then grabs the latest version of the files that it just deleted from
Subversion and tries to repopulate the sub-directories it just emptied
via cp. It partially fails and the way it fails is funky.

Everything, including rm, works fine but cp gets weird. The source
directory looks something like this:

export-dir/src/
   .... bunch of files
   .... bunch of directories

The command issued to copy the files is: cp -R export-dir/src/* [for
each] /mnt/win-share/dev/[sub-dir]

cp manages to copy "bunch of files" no problem. But when it gets to
"bunch of directories" one of (or all) 3 things happen:
1) cp reports "cannot create directory .... Permission denied"
2) cp creates the directory but then reports "setting permissions for
[directory name]: Operation not permitted"
3) cp can't popluate the directory it just created. It reports "cannot
create regular file [filename]: Permission denied"

When I switch back to the 2.6.11.5 kernel everything works perfectly
so I can only conclude that there is something wrong with 2.6.15.1's
CIFS client.

I know this post is short technical details but I'm willing to perform
any necessary action to produce the type of data that may help is
fixing this problem.

Regards,

Dane