[linux-cifs-client] "File name too long" error with long unicode files

Dave Kleikamp shaggy at austin.ibm.com
Tue Mar 28 13:19:02 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 13:17 +0400, Sergey Vlasov wrote:

> Actually the file name limit for ext2/3 and xfs is 255 _bytes_, but each
> non-ASCII character occupies at least two bytes in UTF-8 (CJK and some
> special characters need 3 bytes).
>
> Not sure about jfs (seems to be 255 bytes too, but jfs stores file names
> in Unicode internally, and this might introduce some complications).

By default, jfs doesn't convert to Unicode anymore, but stores the bytes
as they are.   You would need to mount with -o iocharset=utf8 to get jfs
to convert the file names to Unicode (UCS-16, or whatever it's called).
I'm pretty sure jfs still rejects names that are greater then 255
characters long, unconverted.
--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center