[linux-cifs-client] "File name too long" error with long unicode files

Sergey Vlasov vsu at altlinux.ru
Tue Mar 28 09:17:05 GMT 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 10:39:46AM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Steven French wrote:
> >Could you verify that the directory can be created locally on Linux (in
> >e.g. ext3 or jfs or xfs) and do you have an estimate of the path
> >component length (for the particular directory name) and the total
> >filename length in bytes (UTF-8 encoded)?
>
> Indeed, it's not possible (I tried with ext3 and tmpfs) to create a file
> that long on a Linux side.
>
> So it looks like Windows can have filenames longer than Linux do? How do
> we copy long files from Windows then?
>
> It looks like it's impossible, on the Linux side, to create a file or
> directory name that is longer than 127 characters (all characters UTF-8).

Actually the file name limit for ext2/3 and xfs is 255 _bytes_, but each
non-ASCII character occupies at least two bytes in UTF-8 (CJK and some
special characters need 3 bytes).

Not sure about jfs (seems to be 255 bytes too, but jfs stores file names
in Unicode internally, and this might introduce some complications).