[linux-cifs-client] "File name too long" error with long unicode files

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Mar 28 08:39:46 GMT 2006

Steven French wrote:
> Could you verify that the directory can be created locally on Linux (in
> e.g. ext3 or jfs or xfs) and do you have an estimate of the path
> component length (for the particular directory name) and the total
> filename length in bytes (UTF-8 encoded)?

Indeed, it's not possible (I tried with ext3 and tmpfs) to create a file
that long on a Linux side.

So it looks like Windows can have filenames longer than Linux do? How do
we copy long files from Windows then?

It looks like it's impossible, on the Linux side, to create a file or
directory name that is longer than 127 characters (all characters UTF-8).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org