[linux-cifs-client] cifs version 1.42 available for testing

Steve French smfrench at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 15 05:07:47 GMT 2006

I have created a converged cifs 1.42 source tarball (ie current cifs)
which should build and work on (roughly) 2.6.8 or later kernels.  This
is only slightly beyond what was tested at Connectathon a few weeks
ago.  Obviously I don't have every possible kernel version between 2.6.8
and 2.6.16-rc5 to try this on but I have built and lightly tested on a
few different kernel versions today (which went fine) to ensure that the
new ifdefs do take care of the global kernel changes for each major
kernel version.  I ran out of time today to back port it all the way
back to 2.6.5 (SLES9) but will try to finish that up later.   There are
a surprisingly number of little differences in the vfs between Linux
kernel versions.

On the website I would like to keep just two versions of cifs code going
forward (instead of various distinct ones for various old kernels)
    a) cifs-2.6.git (the current development branch) which gets pulled
automatically into -mm (no ifdefs for kernel versions per typical kernel
style)
    b) the version with the various ifdefs to allow it to build on lots
of different kernel versions from 2.6.5 through 2.6.15, or whatever the
previous kernel version is

Obviously this is in addition to the the mainline 2.6 linux kernel
itself (which gets updated somewhat less frequently from the cifs devel
branch.  I will try to keep these synced reasonably up to date in Samba
svn (linux-cifs-client project) as well but git will be the main repository.

To build this:
    1) download http://pserver.samba.org/samba/ftp/cifs-cvs/cifs-1.42.tar.gz
    2) untar it (e.g. gunzip cifs-1.42.tar.gz then tar -xvf cifs-1.42.tar)
    3) cd to the root of your kernel's build directory (e.g.
/usr/src/<kernel-ver>
    4) make M=~/cifs-1.42-scratch/fs/cifs
    5) /sbin/insmod  ~/cifs-1.42-scratch/fs/cifs/cifs.ko
    6) if you test it and like this version, back up your
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko file and replace it
with the newly built one

If this works or doesn't work let me know.