[linux-cifs-client] cifs vs smbfs & multi-user support

Danilo Almeida dalmeida at centeris.com
Fri Mar 10 00:20:55 GMT 2006

I am looking for a good explanation of the differences between the cifs
and smbfs filesystems.  The only documentation that I have found so far
is /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/{cifs,smbfs} and
/usr/src/linux/fs/cifs/README.  I have also extracted information from
mailing list archives.

As far as I can tell, the biggest different is that cifs is newer and
has been support for the newer CIFS dialects.

I am trying to figure out how (and whether) it is possible to configure
cifs or smbfs to allow access to UNC paths by multiple users.  I have
not yet been able to mount w/o specifying specific credentials to use
for the mount.

>From what I have been able to gather, it looks like cifs wants to go in
the direction of using Linux keyrings (though I am not sure how far that
work has gone) to do per-user credentials.

Any information on making this work (now or in the future) would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
- Danilo