[linux-cifs-client] Re: Timeout waaay too long

Daniel K dkar at gmx.de
Thu Mar 9 13:10:13 GMT 2006

Hi,
> So I would like to know if you have an umount scenario on reasonably
> current code in which cifs won't umount (within 15 seconds) and should.
I just did some testing. I have a system running Kanotix with kernel
2.6.14. It obviously is too old and shows even more problems. The other
system, on which I first came across these problems is a linux test
system which works as a digital video recorder. Now, with recordings
distributed across the network is can get very annoying if e.g. the
on-screen display freezes if another system is down.
Anyway, this system is running 2.6.16-rc5 and uses an older version of
busybox. That might be the reason because umount didn't work. I compiled
your umount.cifs.c and it works just fine! Then I tried a newer busybox
version and it too seemed to work.
So, don't worry. There are no umount related problems. Only the long
timeouts are a bit annoying.

Bye and thanks for looking into this subject,
Daniel