[linux-cifs-client] mount.cifs - everything is owned by root (when mounting 2003 shares)

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Mar 8 10:43:05 GMT 2006

I sent a similar message to samba at lists..., but then I found that this
group is more appropriate.

I just tried to mount Windows 2003 share.

I used the following command to mount it:

mount.cifs //10.1.1.1/G$ /mnt/2003/ -o user=admin,domain=MYDOMAIN

The mount is fine, I can read the files.

However, each and every file is owned by root, which is not true.

Moreover, each and every file and folder has the same permissions, which
is also not true.

I can change the owners and permissions, but they are not reflected on
Windows 2003, only Linux sees it.
If I umount the share and mount it again, all ownership/permission
changes I made are lost.

getent passwd returns all Windows users correctly.

I'm using winbind from Samba 3.0.20.

mount.cifs version is 1.9.

kernel version is 2.6.12.

Where should I look to solve the issue?