[linux-cifs-client] 1.40 cifs tar.gz on project download

Juan José Villaplana Querol villapla at si.uji.es
Wed Mar 1 07:24:51 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 05:52:06PM -0600, Steven French wrote:

> > We are very interested on testing cifs 1.40 on RHEL4/CentOS4 (kernel
> > 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp).
>
> OK - it is on the download site. It should be nearly identical to the
> version in mainline (and in cifs-2.6.git) as of the moment (ie what will be
> in 2.6.16-rc2)
>       http://svn.samba.org/samba/ftp/cifs-cvs/cifs-1.40
> a-forFC3orRHEL4orSuSEWrk9.tar.gz
> cifs_writepages (multipage write is disabled if you are built as a module
> due to the two missing exports in the older 2.6.9 (actually 2.6.14 or
> earlier) page manager).
>
> Please let me know feedback (testing results etc.) on this.  I ran fsx and
> connectathon on the module (to Samba 3.0.14) but did not do extensive tests
> as I want to get working on some other critical code.
>
> I also created a
>       http://svn.samba.org/samba/ftp/cifs-cvs/cifs-1.40a.tar.gz
> for those with 2.6.15 or later.

Hi Steve,

We are using CIFS VFS on a CentOS 4.2 (kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp) server
(HP Proliant DL360 G4p).

This server is used for interactive access (ssh and ftp), but Home
directories are hosted by a remote Samba server, so we use "pam_mount" to
transparently mount (via CIFS) the Home directories on login.

We were using cifs v1.39 since november, and it seemed to be almost
stable (1). This moring we have switched to cifs v1.40a and, after ~10
hours of uptime the server hung (in fact, it has been rebooted by HP's
ASR watchdog) the following errors were logged on console:

CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -11
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13
CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 50 mid 7917
CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 50 mid 7918
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.xscreensaver
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.gconfd
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \Desktop
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.gaim
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \Desktop
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.gconfd
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \Desktop
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.gconfd
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.saves-4355-lynx.uji.es
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \Desktop
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.gconfd
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.xscreensaver
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \Desktop
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.icons
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \Desktop
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.icons
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.saves-8253-lynx.uji.es
[...]
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.bash_logout
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.bash_history
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.viminfo
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.bash_history
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.viminfo
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \.viminfo
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \Procesadores\Interprete\ls
CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \simple\simple

The server is still running cifs v1.40, but we will have to switch back
to v1.39 if this issue persists.

Best regards,
               Juanjo

(1) With v1.39 we got "cifsd: page allocation failure" kernel errors,
    please see attached syslog.

--
Juan Jose Villaplana Querol/Servei d'Informatica/Universitat Jaume I