[linux-cifs-client] Re: stat() shows st_size=0 for directory !?

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Thu Jun 22 14:52:19 GMT 2006

Steve,

basicly we want to figure out how many subdirectories are in a directory.

>> why is st_size for a cifs mounted directory always 0?
> What is the server type?

Server		st_nlink	st_size

Samba-3.0.20	ok		0
Windows 2000	strange		ok (growing)
Windows XP	strange		0

Compared with local mounted HDD:
ext2		ok		ok (growing)
FAT16		ok		ok (growing)

"strange" means it changes, increases but falls back to 0 ...

Now do we know why st_nlink is wrong for Windows Servers? Could it be solved
by cifs? Or is it a problem on the server side?

Any idea how one could figure out the number of subdirectories (links) in a
directory?

Thanks!

--
Steven