[linux-cifs-client] legacy mounts

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 7 00:35:06 GMT 2006

Mounts to legacy servers (LANMAN level such as OS/2 and pre-Windows ME)
now work.  I have done simple testing against OS/2 (HPFS386 server) and
most key operations work (file times are not translated yet).

To mount to older lanman servers requires:
        very current cifs code (only in cifs-2.6 tree on kernel.org and
possibly in -mm tree)
        building with the configure option enabled for allowing weak
security
        "echo 2 > /proc/fs/cifs/Experimental"     (to turn on new session
setup code)
        "echo 0x37037 > /proc/fs/cifs/SecurityFlags"  (to allow weak
security at runtime)
        specifying the nebiosname of the server e.g. "mount -t cifs
//server/share /mnt -o servern=MYSRVNAME"

I will be cleaning up the mount option processing so the sec flag passed
on mount can override the default security flags when root, and fixing the
mount helper so the "servern" mount parm will not usually have to be
specified.   I need to do a backport of the last dozen patches or so to
the cifs-for-older-kernels tree on kernel.org and include the corrections
minor version number checks which various of you all have submitted based
on your buildtesting on various distros/kernel levels - I also need to
update the corresponding tar.gz for those who don't use git/cogito

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com