[linux-cifs-client] Mounting without password?

Martin Koeppe mkoeppe at gmx.de
Sat Jun 3 19:34:58 GMT 2006

Hello Steve,

On Thu, 18 May 2006, Steven French wrote:

> Not sure how the quotes (") are treated around the username
>
> I will take a look at null passwords vs. empty passwords in the new
> sessionsetup rewrite that I am doing now but I would like to know if
> anyone has any observations on Windows servers - how to define users
> with
>
>      a) no password
>      b) passwordnotreq (password not required - see NET USER command
> documentation)
>      c) a password of a single null byte and what happens in these
> cases

if I remember right, on Windows XP remote users (file sharing or even
remote desktop) must have a non-empty password.
Curently the only thing I found is MS KB 304040, the almost last
sentence:

    Behavior that is not caused by turning on Simple File Sharing:

    Remote users cannot authenticate by using an account that has a
    blank password. This authentication is configured separately.

Maybe this helps a little.

Martin