[linux-cifs-client] Getting the DOS/Windows File Create Time

Kevin Wilcox 6brshooter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 18:13:03 GMT 2006

We have an application in which we need to be able to retrieve the
"DOS" file creation time. I googled this subject and according to what
I found, I should be able to do this with the "getfattr" utility. I do
exactly as the examples I found, but getfattr produces no output. I
have tried mounting the Windows volume with the "user_xattr" mount
option included and not included. Didn't seem to make any different.
I've tried several different version of CIFS, up to 1.39A and a 2.6.14
kernel. I'm using mount.cifs version 1.6.

The exact command I issued was: "getfattr -d XXXX" where XXXX is the file name.

There is a mention of a control file in the getfattr man pages. Is
this possibly my problem? Can someone tell me what this file should
look like?

Regards,
Kevin