[linux-cifs-client] Re: Offline Files

Steve French smfrench at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 25 14:36:22 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 16:40, Calvin Spealman wrote:

>I have been searching and asking everywhere, and can find no
>information about this. I want to use something like the windows
>Offline Files feature, but from my linux clients. I need to specify
>specific files or directory trees, and make them cached locally for
>use when the server is unavailable, and for changes to be synced when
>I reconnect to the server. I have some ideas for faking this, if I
>have to, but want to avoid that. Any ideas?

At OLS last week, David Howells and I started prototyping CacheFS
enablement for CIFS.
For a description of CacheFS ("FS-Cache") see page 427ff of:
    http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2006/linuxsymposium_procv1.pdf
There are patches for the same kind of thing for NFS but I think it
would probably be easier with
CIFS due to some of the things added for offline files (needs more
investigation what this would
looks like on the wire though).   I will put the cifs patche for
fs-cache up on the project download
site later in the week - but it is not far enough along to be
interesting to a user (yet).