[linux-cifs-client] The noatime option

Kevin Wilcox 6brshooter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 00:57:15 GMT 2006

I'm not certain what version of CIFS I'm running, but it is a 2.6.11 kernel
(Fedora Core 4.0), and mount.cifs version is 1.6. It is accepting the
"noatime" mount option and succesfully mounting a WindowsXP filesystem, but
simply reading the file is updating the file access time.

Is this a bug or is noatime currently not supported? If it is not supported
right now, are there any plans to add support for this option anytime soon?
I scanned the CIFS protocol docs and I did not see any provisions for
indicating to a CIFS server that it should not update the access time on
reads.

Regards,
Kevin