[linux-cifs-client] CIFS: mounting public/guest shares impossible? error: SessSetup = -13

JG jg at cms.ac
Mon Feb 20 18:47:48 GMT 2006

hi,

i've always been using mount -t smbfs and recently "upgraded" to
mount.cifs because i have a very aggressive application which always
killed the smb connection (getting timeouts, ...).

my setup:
* some passwordless public/guest shares
* one admin share over a x-over link

to be able to use the admin share i had to switch my server from
"security = share" to "security = user", otherwise i always got
mount.cifs error -1, Operation not permitted.

now that was weird, because it always worked with smbfs, although the
man page states:
parameter: admin user = jg
"This parameter will not work with the security = share in Samba 3.0.
This is by design."

=> well, this parameter worked with smbfs with security = share, but not
with cifs!

now with "security = user" i can mount this admin share, but all the
public/guest shares are not mountable with CIFS, only with SMBFS.

here's a sample share:
[disk1]
        path = /mnt/disk1
        valid users = nobody ftp *guest
        read only = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        guest only = Yes
        hide unreadable = Yes
        hide special files = Yes
        invalid users = root admin @wheel
        veto files = /*root*/
        browsable = Yes

i tried to mount the public share with many different settings regarding
user=, guest, sec=none, but i only get:
CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

i also tried to disable "PacketSigningEnabled", nothing helps. with
sec=none, dmesg tells me that it is an unknown mount option?

is there no way to perform a null session?

i have configured the smb.conf global settings like this:
  encrypt passwords = yes
  passdb backend = smbpasswd:/etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
  unix extensions = yes

the smbpasswd contains a nobody user with no password and my admin user.
cat /etc/samba/smbusers:
root = administrator admin root
nobody = guest pcguest smbguest

both client and server are samba v3.0.21b. kernel version is 2.6.15.1
on both sides. for the windows clients i'm using the workaround 'net
use \\IP\share "" "/USER:"' to be able to access the shares.

thanks for any enlightenment :)
JG