[linux-cifs-client] Re: Additional questions on your hang

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 15 22:50:44 GMT 2006

> Thanks, this patch works fine for me
Yes - that is as expected and we appreciate the confirmation.

> But even with this patch applied, I had a freeze in the
> non-forcedirectio case, although much later than usual.
> There seems to be more than one bug.  :-(

That is also as expected - it might be one it might be two bugs.  Seeing
EAGAIN coming back either from the socket API or (even after many retries)
or perhaps due to a dead socket ... (server bug? network hardware?).  The
client usually handles those, closes/reopens the socket, retries the read
etc. but perhaps we have a bug in an error path in cifs_readpages or
SMBRead

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com