[linux-cifs-client] Re: Linux CIFS to NT4 Server Problem

Matthew Linehan mlinehan at ledgible.com
Wed Feb 15 14:28:14 GMT 2006

At 09:18 PM 2/14/2006, Steven French wrote:

> > I have a Windows NT4 Server SP6 share that I am mounting from Linux
> (Kernel
> > = 2.6.13-15.8-default (Suse 10.0)).  I have tried using both SMBFS and
> > CIFS.  Both have problems...
> >
> > I tired smbfs first, my fstab line:
> > //server/alidata
> /mnt/alidata  smbfs  username=mlinehan%password,fmask=777 0 0
> > Mostly works, but I get random input/output errors while copying files,
> and
> > sometimes smbfs hangs locking up any process that accesses the mounted
> share
> > /var/log/messages shows lots of smb timeouts, and the occasional invalid
> > NBT packet received
> > The invalid NBT packets seem to cause smbfs to hang..
> > ifconfig shows 0 errors, 0 dropped, 0 overruns for both the TX and RX
> > statistics for the ethernet interface
>Not sure what the smbfs problem is, but cifs does handle a reasonable subset
>of the old style NT4 operations (not ideal NT4 support but good enough for
>casual use).
>
> > I tried cifs second, my fstab line is:
> > //server/alidata  /mnt/alidata  cifs
> >
> user=mlinehan#password,uid=mlinehan,gid=users,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
> > The share mounts ok, I can read files just fine, but attempts to write
> > files, randomly fails leaving a file on the NT server in a state that
> > cannot be accessed by anyone. The files appear to have no owner, cannot be
> > deleted or accessed by the NT administrator.  When administrator attempts
> > to take ownership of the file, he gets accessed denied.  NT server manager
>
>I vaguely remember CIFS setting "delete-on-close" on NT4 files prior to
>CIFS version 1.31 which
>might be what is causing this problem. Versions above cifs 1.32 should be
>fine.

cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData

Display Internal CIFS Data Structures for Debugging
CIFS Version 1.35
Servers:
1) Name: 192.168.168.1 Domain: SKYNET Mounts: 1 ServerOS: Windows NT 4.0
                ServerNOS: NT LAN Manager 4.0  Capabilities: 0x43fd
                SMB session status: 1  TCP status: 1
                Local Users to Server: 1 SecMode: 0x3 Req Active: 0

MIDS:

Shares:
1) \\server\alidata Uses: 1 Type: NTFS Characteristics: 0x20 Attributes: 0x1f
PathComponentsMax: 255  Status: 1 type: DISK

A.L.I. Engineering
mlinehan at ledgible.com
Phone: 614-851-1100
Fax: 614-851-1121