[linux-cifs-client] 1.40 cifs tar.gz on project download

Dave Kleikamp shaggy at austin.ibm.com
Mon Feb 13 16:37:34 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 16:01 +0100, Steven Scholz wrote:
> >> Other fs drivers work without swap support.
> >> Maybe it's possible to implement writepages() without
> >> pagevec_lookup_tag() ...
> > It may be possible, but not optimal.  This isn't an issue in the
> > mainline kernel, but only when building the latest cifs code on older
> > kernels.
>
> Ok. So if I remove cifs_writepages() (cause I have no swap) then
> cifs_writepage() will be used instead which is less efficient but should
> work well. Right?

I think Steve already answered this, but right.  It really has nothing
to do with swap.  Those symbols have only recently been exported by the
kernel and were not available to modules until very recently.  Other
options are to patch to kernel to export those symbols, or to build cifs
into the kernel rather than as a module.

--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center