[linux-cifs-client] 1.40 cifs tar.gz on project download

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Mon Feb 13 13:46:36 GMT 2006

Steven,

> I put a 1.40 tar.gz for the cifs kernel code on
> http://svn.samba.org/samba/ftp/cifs-cvs/cifs-1.40.tar.gz

It looks like cifs_writepages() in fs/cifs/file.c in no longer wrapped
in CONFIG_CIFS_EXPERIMENTAL in your recent 1.40 releases.

This is bad.

On embedded systems with no "Support for paging of anonymous memory
(swap)" the build (and insmod) will fail with

*** Warning: "pagevec_lookup_tag" [fs/cifs/cifs.ko] undefined!
*** Warning: "__pagevec_release" [fs/cifs/cifs.ko] undefined!

In earlier releases (1.39) cifs_writepages() was wrapped in
CONFIG_CIFS_EXPERIMENTAL. Thus I could build cifs without experimental
stuff, i.e. without calls of pagevec functions.

As I wrote in a previous mail IMHO functions in cifs that need swap
support should be wrapped in #ifdef's, i.e. compiled in conditionally.
So either use CONFIG_CIFS_EXPERIMENTAL or (which I think is better)
CONFIG_SWAP directly.

Would you like patch?

--
Steven Scholz