[linux-cifs-client] More than 128 files in a directory?

Jerome Whelan whelanjh at verizon.net
Sun Dec 31 20:16:14 GMT 2006

Problem Symptoms:
The "ls" command cannot list directory content of a remote CIFS directory
when the directory holds more than 125 user files + dot + dotdot for a total
of 127 files.  Fewer files works OK, but with 128 files or more I get "ls:
reading directory /mnt/test/: Invalid argument"

I'm guessing this is associated with the mounting, since the remote CIFS
directory CAN be manipulated normally by Windows-XP clients, AND the Linux
box can list local disk directories containing thousands of files.

Any recommendations that will allow full access to CIFS server with large
number of files in each directory?

System is Fedora Core 6 with these versions installed
samba-common-3.0.23c-2
samba-3.0.23c-2
samba-client-3.0.23c-2
system-config-samba-1.2.35-1.1

Remote filesystem is Buffalo TeraServer 1 TB model
and I mount the remote filesystem using command

# mount -t cifs   \\\\nas236\\test    /mnt/test