[linux-cifs-client] Sporadic disconnects using mount.cifs and smbmount

smbl.9.erynon at xoxy.net smbl.9.erynon at xoxy.net
Mon Aug 28 03:25:18 GMT 2006

Dear list,

I've been having an odd problem with sporadic disconnects lately, and
I wonder if anyone has some insight into it.

I'm connecting to a Windows XP server from a linux workstation using
mount.cifs (tried smbmount too), and every once in a while my session
will get suddenly disconnected, usually while programs are accessing
the share.

Versions:
* Linux kernel: 2.6.17 (smbfs and CIFS support, statistics, extended
statistics, and extended attributes compiled as modules; experimental
features disabled)
* Samba: 3.0.22 and 3.0.23a

Mount command:
$ mount.cifs //KRONOS/NetShare /home/jesse/netshare -o
credentials=/home/jesse/.smbcredentials,file_mode=0644,dir_mode=0755,user_xattr

I can find no pattern to the disconnects; they can happen from as
little as a minute after mounting to as much as several hours.  The
cifsFYI information reports no error messages that I can see, just
acknowledgement that it's about to disconnect.  The logs always end
with:

(a bunch of revalidates, transport messages, etc.)
 fs/cifs/cifsfs.c: In cifs_put_super
 fs/cifs/connect.c: CIFS VFS: in cifs_umount as Xid: 235800 with uid: 0
 fs/cifs/cifssmb.c: In tree disconnect
 fs/cifs/transport.c: For smb_command 113
 fs/cifs/transport.c: Sending smb of length 35
 fs/cifs/connect.c: rfc1002 length 0x27)
 fs/cifs/connect.c: About to do SMBLogoff
 fs/cifs/cifssmb.c: In SMBLogoff for session disconnect
 fs/cifs/transport.c: For smb_command 116
 fs/cifs/transport.c: Sending smb of length 39
 fs/cifs/connect.c: rfc1002 length 0x2b)
 fs/cifs/connect.c: Waking up socket by sending it signal
 fs/cifs/connect.c: CIFS VFS: leaving cifs_umount (xid = 235800) rc = 0

I can post the complete ring buffer captured right after a disconnect
if anyone would find them helpful; I have several.

It appears someone else may have experienced this problem too:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux-cifs-client/2006-August/001430.html

One final (possibly irrelevant) thing I noticed: if I unmount and
remount the share a few times in a row, many duplicate entries are
left in mtab even with no cifs shares mounted.  After experiencing one
of these disconnects, all of those duplicates are cleared.

Thanks in advance. :)

Jesse Milligan

--
"Beauty is truth, truth beauty; that is all ye know on Earth, and all
ye need to know."