[linux-cifs-client] Re: Cifs module for 2.4

Yehuda Sadeh Weinraub Yehuda.Sadeh at expand.com
Tue Aug 22 20:16:19 GMT 2006

> Your suggested port for cifsfs.c was large enough that it got me
thinking
> it would be easier to fork a cifsfs-24.c rather than adding that many
> ifdefs (the diff -Nau was about eight pages IIRC).

Yeah. But on the other hand, it might be annoying and error prone to
merge future fixes to both files.

> I am also debating whether it is better to just wrap mempool alloc to
slab
> alloc rather than including the mempool code.  I am still looking way
> shrink the diff for the other four files, but it is not easy to see
> anything much better.
I wasn't sure about it when I've made my port. It really looked that
slab allocator is sufficient, but I chose to include the mempool code
just in case. Mempools guarantees the success of the allocation without
blocking. I'm not sure whether we're under a don't-block constraint
here.

Thanks,
Yehuda