[linux-cifs-client] read/write retry behavior with dead network/server/disconnected cable

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 18 22:45:17 GMT 2006

Shirish did some useful research today, confirming that there is one cifs
write case (case d below) that needs more investigation in regards to
retry behavior when the cable is unplugged (or network or server is down).
 Cases a) and b) look fine. See below:

a) with hard option, read/write block forver but resume once the link is
restored.

b) with forcedirectio, read/write block for approximately 30/50 seconds or
so and then return with return code of -1 and errno set to 0x70  (112
EHOSTDOWN).

c) with default options, read blocks for approximately 30 seconds or so
and then returns without any error with return code of 0x0, read call
keeps reading for 3 seconds and then blocks one
more time for approximately 30 seconds and then returns with return code
of -1 and errno set to 0x70.  I do not know what it is reading (cached
data) for three seconds without returning an
error code.

d) with default option, write blocks for approximately 50 seconds and then
keeps on writing every 10 seconds without any error.  I do not know what
it is writing and where.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com