[linux-cifs-client] CIFS Input/output Error

Thierry Delmot thierry.delmot at scarlet.be
Fri Aug 18 21:45:39 GMT 2006

Hi Hari,

I encounter a problem similar to what you described today.

My observations:
- Occurs when trying to mount a share from a WinXP/SP1 server to a linux client being FC5 with 2.6.15 kernel, samba v3.0.23a.
- DOES NOT occurs when mounting a share from a WinXP/SP2 server to the same linux client.
- Share security rules are identical on the two servers.

It looks like Microsoft CIFS implementation changed a bit from SP1 to SP2 ?!?

I hope it helps.

BR,

Thierry Delmot

Hari Sekhon wrote:
>/ Hi,
/>/   I have a problem with cifs in that when I try to mount some shares
/>/ from some machines I get the following error:
/>/
/>/ mount -t cifs //machinename/pub /mnt/machinename/pub/ -o
/>/ credentials=/etc/mntcreds/administrator
/>/ mount error 5 = Input/output error
/>/ Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
/>/
/>/ The credentials are correct in the credentials file, if I instead do:
/>/
/>/ mount -t smbfs //machinename/pub /mnt/machinename/pub/ -o
/>/ credentials=/etc/mntcreds/administrator
/>/
/>/ it works without a hitch, gets mounted and I can browse around the
/>/ filesystem....
/>/
/>/ So this seems to be a cifs problem. It occurs for me on linux kernels
/>/ 2.6.15 and 2.6.16 (.
/>/
/>/ The machines serving the shares vary from linux machines with samba
/>/ samba-2.0.6-7, samba-2.2.8a-107 and samba-3.0.9-2.6 to new Windows XP
/>/ machines and always fails consistently for those machines, even though
/>/ there are other machines of similar or exact same versions that work
/>/ without encountering this (the majority to not encounter this problem).
/>/
/>/ I can't think why this would be. Any ideas?
/>/ linux-cifs-client mailing list
/>/ linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org <https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-cifs-client>
/>/
/

I take it nobody knows anything about this or has seen it before?

-h