[linux-cifs-client] Re: mountstats

Steve French (smfltc) smfltc at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 14 18:35:43 GMT 2006

Trond Myklebust wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 17:21 -0500, Steve French wrote:
>

>>Why are mountstats per process (e.g. "cat /proc/1/mountstats")?
>>

>Namespaces are per-process, hence so are the per-mountpoint mountstats.
>
>Cheers,
>  Trond

Namespaces are per process but superblocks are not.  It could be
confusing to some users. Locating
these stats [only] in the perprocess information (alongside some truly
per-process stats) creates
the impression that the stats are those I/Os for that per-process for
that mount while
the stats displayed are the stats for the superblock (across all
processes that have the superblock
in the namespace).  I realize that it would not really be possible to
show per-process/per-mount stats
but it seems odd that the per-superblock mountstats show up only here,
rather in a more intuitive
location(s) such as /proc/mountstats [as well].