[linux-cifs-client] mount.cifs doesn't work with samba share

Steve McCampbell steve at mccampbell.us
Mon Aug 7 02:00:39 GMT 2006

I have Fedora core 5 with kernel 2.6.17-1 and samba 3.0.23a-1.  If I:

mount.cifs //server/share /mount_point/ -o username=me,password=xx

I get a file system I can ls, cp to, rm, touch in, and even vim an new
file in.
I can't cat, cp from, edit, or do anything else to actually access the
files from the
mount point.  This happens any time I access a samba share on a computer
with
current samba RPM's (I tried 4).  I can access a windows share or a samba
3.0.1pre1-1 share on a computer with kernel 2.4.20-28.7 using the same
command just fine.

Steve McCampbell