[linux-cifs-client] CIFS Files List Problems

faris farislinux at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 08:17:05 GMT 2006

Hi Steve & all

  I have already patched the kernel and installed cifs-1.20c-2.4.tar.gz against the Redhat kernel version 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp.
Currently i have 2 mount points for 2 different win2k server shares to access by linux clients. each mount point is around 1GB and the Problem is:

Problem 1
whenever i create a file in the windows dir and, then and there if i "ls" the file, its missing. but if 1 "ls" the dir and "ls" the file, its there..

Ex: ls /usr2/mounts/tmp/test.txt    File is missing
      ls /usr2/mounts/tmp/             Dir list ok
      ls /usr2/mounts/tmp/test.txt    now the file exists

Note : this TMP dir has about 1500 files around 100-300K

  But if there is a bug in the cifs version i am using. how do i enable cifs into my kernel without re-compiling ?

  Problem 2

  Sometimes if we created a file in Windows dir and later if we edit the file and save it, the cifs recognizes it has new file and 2 files data are concatenates it. We found this case from our wav files... we share some wave files to Linux and later we edit it from windows.

These are the errors we found through the Cifs and we did a try a to use SMBFS instead, but smbfs also have a problem we got.

  OR

  Can i re-compile the latest cvs version of cifs with my kernel to get rid of these problems ?

Thanks !

  Faris