[linux-cifs-client] cifs file permisions

Brian _ cpmh1 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 7 20:20:12 GMT 2006

On Fedora Core 5, when I mount a Win/XP share with

>mount.cifs //server/share /home/user/share -o
>exec,rw,uid=500,gid=500,user=user

The share is mounted, but file perms are somewhat strange, and more
importantly, they don't reflect changes made on the windows side.

Example, on windows, a regular file "foo.c" that is writeable will show as

-rwxrwSrwx foo.c

And it was not writeable

-r-xr-Sr-x foo.c

If I make the file read-only on Windows, the perms stay the same on Linux,
until I remount.  If I chmod on Linux, the perms reflect the chmod properly.
   Any ideas on how to fix this?

The same share(s) worked properly with smbfs, and I will need to figure out
a solution, which is probably going to be a choice of 1) add smbfs to my
kernel or 2) downgrade to FC4.  I would prefer 1 but its just a bunch of
work since I can't seem to find any .ko's prebuilt.

Thanks for the help