[linux-cifs-client] RHEL3 CIFS won't compile

Wagner, Chris (GEAE, CBTS) chris.wagner at ae.ge.com
Thu Sep 22 18:50:30 GMT 2005

Greetings, I hope u have some time to answer this.  We're running Red Hat
Enterprise 3 update 5 kernel 2.4.21-32.EL 64 bit.  I followed the instructions
on the CIFS VFS page about compiling cifs.o for 2.4 kernels.  I got the kernel
source from the kernel-source rpm provided by Red Hat and the CIFS source and
everything went smoothly up until "make modules".  At that point something
weird happened; gcc started throwing all kinds of compiler errors in kernel.h.
I also got the raw kernel source from kernel.org and did the same procedure
only this time the module compiled successfully.  That won't do me any good
however because the kernel version has to match Red Hat's.  Any ideas about why
this doesn't work?  I attached the captured output of make modules.  Thanks.

--
Chris Wagner
CBTS
Chris.Wagner at ae.ge.com