[linux-cifs-client] Problems with RedHat AS 4, Netware, and CIFS

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 30 22:34:28 GMT 2005

Is this stock 2.6.9 RedHat on the cifs client?

That cifs version is rather old, and was not refreshed in their first few
updates (or at least not changed much by RedHat) - I would expect that a
newer cifs.ko would help.

You can tell the version of the cifs kernel code by /sbin/modinfo
/lib/modules/<kernel version>/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko

1.39 is the current version.

smbfs is not being modified/fixed much these days.

I would like to run cifs against a netware cifs server for testing, but
don't have access to any netware whether with or without cifs nlm or not (I
do have access of course to the usual Samba and Windows versions and a few
more obscure server types and now a single netapp filer etc.).

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com