[linux-cifs-client] Re: support for mknod to windows now in cifs vfs

Steve French smfrench at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 20 04:00:46 GMT 2005

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 13:55 -0600, Steve French wrote:
>

>>Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>>>Any reason why this isn't on by default?
>>>
>>>Andrew Bartlett
>>>

>>I agree with most of Martin's points - even on Windows there are a few
>>(possibly with Vista) three ways e.g. to do symlinks.  Although sfu is
>>the most important way to do it it is a bit slower too.
>>

>Isn't there also the mac 'magic file size' thing too?  Did that change,
>or should we also cope with servers holding those files?
>
>Andrew Bartlett

For symlinks I am not as worried about samba (the server) interpreting
them as it is more important that the client recognize them.  I think
that the Linux cifs client will probably have to add code to recognize
them but as I don't have access to any macs any more I can't create ones
to verify this feature.