[linux-cifs-client] Re: cifs fails to mount a public share, smbfs succeeds

Frederik Himpe fhimpe at telenet.be
Thu Nov 10 16:39:42 GMT 2005

Frederik Himpe wrote:

> On my server, with security = user, I have the following share:
> [Music]
>         comment = Music Collection
>         browseable = yes
>         writable = yes
>         locking = no
>         public = yes
>         path = /mnt/Music
>
> Now I can mount this as guest fine with smbfs, but not with cifs:
>
> [root at Nova mnt]# mount -t smbfs -o guest //192.168.1.3/Music /mnt/Music
> Anonymous login successful
> [root at Nova mnt]# umount Music
> [root at Nova mnt]# mount -t cifs -o guest //192.168.1.3/Music /mnt/Music
> mount error 13 = Permission denied
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Mounting the same share with o user=frederik and giving a password at the
prompt, works perfectly. Using CIFS 1.39 does not change anything. It seems
that when using guest with CIFS, my server does not receive any request,
nothing appears in the Samba logs. Why doesn't it work with guest?

--
Frederik Himpe