[linux-cifs-client] Should cifs respect umask setting on client? (repost)

Juan José Villaplana Querol villapla at si.uji.es
Tue Nov 8 12:28:53 GMT 2005

> Is my setup wrong or is umask setting supposed to alter default
> permissions for new files on a cifs-mount to a Samba server?
>
> Setup:
> Samba 3.0.11 server with:
> 	unix extensions = yes
>          map archive = No
>          mangled names = No
>          delete readonly = Yes
>          create mask = 0755
>          nt acl support = No
>

> Client: Linux 2.6.10 (cifs 1.28 dated Dec 24), mount.cifs version 1.5
> mounted with default options.

Hi Eirik,

We have noticed the same problem on CentOS 4.2.

The server is a RHEL3 U5 with samba-3.0.9-1.3E.3, the client is a CentOS
4.2 with Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp.

The default cifs module (v1.20) honors umask as expected, but
latest cifs module (v1.39) compiled from sources available on
http://pserver.samba.org/samba/ftp/cifs-cvs/, doesn't honor umask setting
by default.

We have found that mounting cifs filesystem with the "noacl" option,
solves this issue. POSIX ACLs are enabled by default on cifs but are
disabled in our Samba server.

Regards,
             Juanjo

--
Juan José Villaplana Querol/Servei d'Informàtica/Universitat Jaume I