[linux-cifs-client] Re: [Fwd: POSIX pathnames]

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu May 26 22:50:43 GMT 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 03:28:41PM -0700, Conrad Minshall wrote:
> I see three approaches possible:
>
> 1) Jeremy suggests sending capability info with a query.  That turns a "query" into a "set", *sigh*

No, I abandoned that. It's a silly idea :-). Andrew Bartlett suggested the
second idea and I prefer that.

> 2) Byron suggests using trans2_set_fs_info.  Since that has no info level range reserved for unix, I imagine clients must negotiate CAP_UNIX first.  Future MS use of trans2_set_fs_info w/ 0x200 could raise a compatibility issue.

Yes, once the unix capabilities are queried, than doing a set with
0x200 should be safe. I am of the opinion that it's the 0x200-0x2ff
range that's safe with all trans2 calls, not just the set/query path
info calls.

> 3) TRANS2_SET_PATH_INFO, with a new SMB_SET_FILE_UNIX_PATHNAMES info level in the 0x200-0x2ff range.  Since this would be setting a capability for the entire fs I expect it'd be allowed only with some "special" path, or perhaps just "\".

I don't like the "magic path" idea. That may get
blundered into by strange apps.

I much prefer the set_fs_info with a level of 0x200. The
data sent will be the capabilities the client is requesting
the server to turn on.

Jeremy.