[linux-cifs-client] RE: [Fwd: POSIX pathnames]

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Thu May 26 21:11:04 GMT 2005

I don't mind implementing trans2 set_fs_info (it seems pretty easy)

Servers may export shares on some non-posix filesystems or at least on
filesystems that don't support all posix names (e.g. xfs/jfs/ext3 etc vs.
vfat or perhaps ntfs) - although it may not be necessary to report back
that fs behavior to the client, it is odd for the client to tell the server
to support naming semantics that it may only be able to partially
guarantee.

I don't mind a setposixsemantics if we could figure out at least a few
other optional semantics that clients should be telling the server -
otherwise I prefer that we request best-the-server-can-do posix
capabilities all at once.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com