[linux-cifs-client] Using POSIX filenames.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue May 10 17:03:33 GMT 2005

Steve,

	After getting a good idea from Andrew Bartlett the
best way to do POSIX filenames (including the "evil 6" characters).

We need to return a new capability bit on the server in the
SMB_QUERY_CIFS_UNIX_INFO call.

#define CIFS_UNIX_POSIX_PATHNAMES_CAP      0x10 /* Use POSIX pathnames on the wire. */

Setting this bit will tell the client we offer this capability.
Unfortunately we then need a switch to turn it on. Andrew Bartlett
suggested using a TRANSACT2_SETFSINFO call with the same format
as the SMB_QUERY_CIFS_UNIX_INFO info level - but with the client
setting the UNIX capabilities it wants to turn on in the data
portion of the packet.

So the proceedure for selecting POSIX pathnames would be :

client                                   ->   server

QFSINFO - SMB_QUERY_CIFS_UNIX_INFO  ->

	<-  reply with UNIX capabilities.

SETFSINFO - SMB_QUERY_CIFS_UNIX_INFO ->
	(selecting UNIX capabilities we will use)

If this call returns success any subsequent pathnames should
be in POSIX format (ie. use "/" instead of "\\" as a separator,
allow any POSIX characters).

Looks good ? I can code this up in the server very
quickly. Let me know about the client.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.