[linux-cifs-client] Re: samba/cifs symlinks on 2.6.11

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Fri May 6 15:52:30 GMT 2005

>In 2.4 I had the local cifs unix extensions disabled in kernel config -
>and it was working then with both smb and cifs.

smbfs did not have Unix extensions support in 2.4, so Samba treated it in
this
regard as it would a Windows client rather than a symlink aware client.
cifs has supported the Unix extensions for quite some time in both 2.4 and
2.6
versions.

>In 2.6 (and the same server, same smbmount) smbfs sees just dangling
>symlinks, and I tried cifs 1.34 compiled with and without unix
>extensions - the same dangling symlinks. Yes - they point to outside,
>but were working before as shares from home dirs...

On cifs it is not a compile option (to enable/disable CIFS Unix protocol
extensions)
although there is a compile option for some of the experimental POSIX
extensions which
will in effect be a version 2 of the CIFS Unix protocol extensions
Note that the Unix extensions should be disabled before the 1st mount from
that client to the server (since the Unix extensions are a capability that
is sent by the client to the server on the initial session setup, not
just a returned server capability).
      echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled

> As far as you know this should work just fine?
Yes - but note there are behavior changes depending on versions of Samba
(and the wide links configuration parm)
in Samba 2.2 - no Unix Extensions support.
in Samba 3.0 at first there was no support for symlinks outside the share -
widelinks parm was introduced in later versions of Samba 3

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com