[linux-cifs-client] RE: Longnames (was problems with cifs)

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Fri May 6 00:11:51 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 13:12, Naidu Bollineni wrote:
> The filenames do have <, > characters in them.
> With mapping the illegal characters (by ORing 0xFF00 to the character),
> is it possible for server to return the true name at all, if the client
> says it can handle such things?

Yes. If the "mapchars" mount option is used, the reserved characters
(except slash) will be mapped going to/from the server, allowing you to
create files with such characters in the filename and see them in ls,
stat etc.

> The servers are SAMBA and Netapp.
>
> With SAMBA I have one more issue - it does not return all 5K files. It
> returns only fewer files for both XP(1206) and CIFS VFS(only 1198). And
> the result between XP and CIFS VFS is not same too. I see one file in
> CIFS VFS that is absent in XP result, while 6 files in XP that are
> missing in CIFS VFS. This is an older version of SAMBA 2.2.7 - I guess
> mangling algorithm was broken in prior ones I haven't searched
> databases. I will see if I can update to the more recent ones.
>
> I don't see this issue with Netapp boxes.

Files are missing from the Samba 2.2.7 listing, but the complete list is
returned from NetApp?  I am not aware of any bug with Samba 2.2.7 in
this regard but will run some quick tests.