[linux-cifs-client] Problems writing/saving to cifs-mounted samba share

VG Virball vgvirball at virball.org
Thu May 5 19:02:08 GMT 2005

Hello All,

Configuration:
1. Samba share on an LTSP thinclient
Linux ws001 2.4.26-ltsp-2 #1 Sat Nov 13 00:28:51 UTC
2004 i586 unknown
Samba version 3.0.4
2. Client system:
Linux calgary 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 #1 Thu Nov 18 15:10:10
EST 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
mount.cifs version 1.5

Problem:
3. Both a floppy and a 'thumb drive' are connected to
the thin client using usb.
4. They are shared using samba.
5. CIFS is used to mount these shares.
 $strng = "/usr/bin/sudo mount -tcifs
-ouid=$user,gid=patron,noperm,noserverino,file_mode=0666,dir_mode=0777,guest,rw
//$WS/devices /mnt/$WS/devices";
6. Using OpenOffice writer when a new file is created
it can be saved to the mounted media, but with a
general io error. The docs can be retrieved and read.
They cannot be saved back to the media after
modification.
7. Kate can be used to create a new document and save
it without error. But after retrieving it, it cannot
be saved with mods. As a matter of fact, the document
contents disappear when trying to save a modified
document.
8. The above experiment with gedit works.

Question:
Is this issue real (it is to me)? Or have I done
something stupid?
Who should own the issue?

Thank you, any words of advice, pointers, additional
experiments would be appreciated.
Who should own this issue?