[linux-cifs-client] RE: Longnames (was problems with cifs)

Naidu Bollineni naidu at kazeon.com
Thu May 5 18:12:58 GMT 2005

The filenames do have <, > characters in them.
With mapping the illegal characters (by ORing 0xFF00 to the character),
is it possible for server to return the true name at all, if the client
says it can handle such things?

The servers are SAMBA and Netapp.

With SAMBA I have one more issue - it does not return all 5K files. It
returns only fewer files for both XP(1206) and CIFS VFS(only 1198). And
the result between XP and CIFS VFS is not same too. I see one file in
CIFS VFS that is absent in XP result, while 6 files in XP that are
missing in CIFS VFS. This is an older version of SAMBA 2.2.7 - I guess
mangling algorithm was broken in prior ones I haven't searched
databases. I will see if I can update to the more recent ones.

I don't see this issue with Netapp boxes.

Thanks,
Naidu Bollineni
Senior Member Technical Staff
Kazeon Systems