[linux-cifs-client] Longnames (was problems with cifs)

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Thu May 5 22:57:14 GMT 2005

> How can I see long names of the files from server? Even though Flags2
> says client is not bound by the 8.3 notation, the server that has about
> 5K files is returning them in 8.3 format. I would like to see the real
> names, otherwise, it is difficult to correlate the real names to the
> mapped/mangled names.
AFAIK, the only cases in which servers will return short names
are the following:

1) the underlying filesystem (some versions of FAT e.g.) does
not support longnames for which mangling the name is the only choice
other than rejecting the create or mkdir

2) as the alt name in some of the higher levels of FindFirst (the non-mangled
name is also typically returned)

3) (for Samba at least) when the filename contains what is considered
an illegal character (such as <>\/:)

Presumably it could be a bug in the server handling of the longnames
flag in the header but I have not seen that.

Which server?