[linux-cifs-client] Re: Some problems with linux-cifs

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue May 3 18:20:24 GMT 2005

> - on linux-cifs.samba.org, "1.34 for 2.6 kernels" links to 1.33
> - the tarballs for 1.33 or 1.34 both result in this message when trying
> to build a new kernel, based off of the stock config for ubuntu:
>    CC [M]  fs/cifs/connect.o
> fs/cifs/connect.c: In function `cifs_mount':
> fs/cifs/connect.c:1702: error: structure has no member named
`s_time_gran'
> make[3]: *** [fs/cifs/connect.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [fs/cifs] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [fs] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.10'
> make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2

This field was globally added to the kernel for proper nanosecond time
rounding (presumably it was added just after 2.6.10).  The RHEL4 version of
the cifs code (which handles 2.6.8/2.6.9 kernels) should be fine and does
not depend on this field, although I have not tried it personally on 2.6.10

> but given the huge number of suspiciously broken-looking pages and broken
links on the linux cifs client site
I don't spend much time on the webpages, but must have broken a few links
when I added the two new child html pages, but I will scan through and try
to find and fix any broken links.  Check back tomorrow and let me know if
you see any broken links that I have not addresed.